Sunday, April 14, 2013

Projekt 801 Competition

This weekend I was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of a poster for a skate/BMX competition that was going down Saturday.  I've been away from my camera for a little while and have been itching to get some shots, but I didn't know if it would be worth it, so I didn't plan on going.  Late Friday night I happened to see that one of my friends is up in Canada, getting paid to film and photograph a few different action sports tours and I was immediately jealous.  I was ticked that he's getting his shot right now while I'm stuck on the sidelines.  But then I realized I was acting like an idiot.  Here I knew were a competition was happening, but I wasn't willing to go get the shot, so how would I ever end up getting a paid gig?  Saturday I woke up and went to check out the skills being thrown down.  This wasn't by any means a professional event, but these kids were good!  The judges and competitors were cool with me running around snapping pictures, so I did!  What resulted were some wonderful images,  and I'm feeling pretty proud about them,  not gonna lie about that...  Just a note, I'm not mad at this friend, I'm actually really happy for him, I just wish I could be there with him.

I love this shot, I wasn't even looking through the viewfinder, I just held the camera above my head and hoped for the best!  18mm f4.5 1/320sec 2500 ISO

Gaping from the ramp on the left, over the door and rail set-up.
20mm f4.5 1/320sec 2500 ISO

Huge backflip!
18mm f4.5 1/320sec 2500 ISO

Airing out of the quarter-pipe.
18mm f4.5 1/320sec 2500 ISO

Wall ride almost up to the ceiling!
18mm f4.5 1/320sec 2500 ISO

I want to thank We Are One Skatepark in Sandy, UT and Projekt 801 for putting on this competition.  Projekt 801 is a non-profit that is helping kids get sponsors for their talent, while at the same time making sure they stay out of trouble, get good grades, and learn to serve in the community.  They soon hope to start a scholarship fund for their athletes to attend college.  They've just started out, but with such a worthy cause I'm sure they'll find success!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome shots, man!! Thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete